The other day I realized that how to use your Young Living diffuser is the most read post on my blog. At first this felt like a huge surprise. But then I remembered how many questions I get from my own friends and family about how to use their Young Living diffusers, and it made a lot more sense.
Most people are so excited when their Premium Starter Kit arrives, they simply rip open the box and start playing. Which is amazing! Except for one problem…
Each Young Living diffuser has it’s own features and nuances, and without reading the manual, you might be missing out on some important stuff.
So today I’m going to break down the most frequently asked questions about the Young Living Desert Mist Diffuser. I’ll cover whether it shuts off automatically, and share all the details about the light modes and cycles. I’ll even get to the bottom of the where the fill line actually is.
Your Desert Mist Diffuser Manual
For those of who you threw out all of the packaging in your Premium Starter Kit in a fit of excitement, or have the manual somewhere (but couldn’t put your finger on it for the life of you)… don’t fret. I got you.
I have a .pdf version of the Desert Mist Diffuser manual, and am happy to share it. You should save this! Seriously! Even if you’re “not a manual person” (I know, we all feel that way sometimes), you really should save this. Someday when your diffuser stops working, you’ll want to have the handy trouble shooting tips. I promise.
And for those of you who just got your Desert Mist Diffuser, please give this a read. It includes some important information about mist settings, light settings, how to use the two buttons, filling the diffuser, and… very important, cleaning the diffuser.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Desert Mist Diffuser
Okay, now let’s get to it. Here are the top 5 questions I get asked about the Young Living Desert Mist Diffuser.
1. Where can I find the Desert Mist Diffuser manual?
Click here to download the Young Living Desert Mist Diffuser manual.
2. Does the Desert Mist Diffuser shut off automatically?
This diffuser DOES have a built in automatic shut off, which is wonderful. So the short answer is yes, the diffuser shuts off when the water runs out. That means if you fill the water to the proper fill line, you can expect the maximum number of hours, based on your mist setting. If you fill it halfway with water, it will run for approximately half the amount of time.
- High mode (click the power button once) runs approximately 5 hours continuously.
- Low mode (click the power button twice) runs approximately 8 hours continuously.
- Intermittent mode (click the power button three times) runs approximately 10 hours by running 1 minute on, then 1 minute off.
While your diffuser automatically shut off when the water runs out (meaning no more mist), the light setting does not shut off. So this means you may come home to a powered down diffuser but still see the light on.
You can solve this in one of two ways. First, you may choose to run your diffuser with no light on. Or, whenever you notice the diffuser has stopped misting, simply shut off the light manually. To quickly shut off the light, press and hold the light button for 3 seconds.
3. What’s with the Desert Mist Diffuser light modes?
There are far more light settings on this diffuser then the Dewdrop, which is awesome! But you’ll want to take a minute and learn how to control the lights. Your diffuser has two buttons: the button on the left is the power button, the button to the right is the light button.
When you turn your diffuser on, the LED light automatically turns on to it’s default setting: bright. You can then click the light button until you reach the light setting you prefer.
- Press light button 1 time for dim white light.
- Press 2 times for candle-like ficker.
- Press 3 times to get to the color cycle option! When left on this setting, the light cycles through all 7 color options on a 5-second delay, starting with red.
- Press 4-10 times to manually select an individual color option: red, orange, yellow, green, light blue, blue, lavender.
- If you press the light button 11 times, you’ll turn the light off.
- A much faster way to turn the light off at any time is to simply press and hold the light button for 3 seconds.
4. Can you use this diffuser without a light?
Yes! Thank goodness, because I don’t like to sleep with a bright night light next to my bed. The diffuser’s 11 different light settings can be turned off or on independent of diffuser function.
To turn the light off at any time is to simply press and hold the light button for 3 seconds.
5. Where is the fill line in the Desert Mist?
Some of you might be wondering why this is a frequently asked question. Well, unfortunately the Desert Mist manual includes a depiction of the fill line that is unclear and confusing at best. Take a look:
In the picture above, the line is pointing to a vertical edge on the inside of the diffuser. Not exactly helpful. So here’s a better picture for you that pinpoints exactly which ledge you should be using as a gauge for your maximum water fill line.