Lemon essential oil is a must-have for every home. There are hundreds of scientific studies that focus on the effects of lemon essential oil, and today I’m sharing 31 practical ways to use lemon essential oil around your home!
The ideas below are ways to use lemon essential oil as an individual oil… but because of its cleansing properties and uplifting scent, it’s also one of my favorite oils to use in my diffuser! So when you’re done learning about lemon, be sure to check out some of my diffuser blend roundups:
- 11 Simple Starter Kit Diffuser Blends
- 8 Easy Valentine’s Day Diffuser Blends (or… anytime blends)
- 7 Diffuser Blends for Easter Week (also perfect for spring and summer!)
- Diffuser Blends with the new Idaho Grand Fir (and ideal for the fall and holiday season)
Now, back to the star of our show: lemon!
Why Lemon Essential Oil is So Amazing
Given it’s many, many practical applications, I think (and many people agree) that lemon essential oil is one of the most useful essential oils to have on hand. It has a fresh and uplifting scent that instantly boosts your mood, it’s high in the natural chemical constituent d-limonene (Google it!), which is a powerful antioxidant that supports the body’s natural detoxifying system, and it’s a great addition to your at home cleaning routine.
Lemon has long been known to be a powerful cleanser. It’s why so many natural cleaning solutions use lemon, and even the traditional store bought cleaning products are lemon scented. But it’s not just great for cleaning your home (and making it smell extra inviting). Lemon essential oil also does wonders for your body. It’s high vitamin content makes it a great immune system supporter, and it’s detoxifying, antiseptic and astringent properties make it a great solution to help out with skin issues. The component in lemons called d-limonene that I mention above helps in detoxifying the body, prevents premature aging, and so much more.
There are hundreds of scientific studies that focus on the effects of lemon essential oil, and today I’m sharing 31 practical ways to use lemon essential oil around your home. Of course this is not a comprehensive list. There are endless ways to use lemon essential oil, and a quick Google or Pinterest search will provide you with plenty more!
CAUTION: Citrus oils should NOT be applied to skin that will be exposed to direct sunlight or ultraviolet light within 72 hours.
30+ Everyday Uses for Lemon Essential Oil
- Diffuse for mental clarity, and energy.
- Flavor your water. 1-2 drops in a glass container with room temperature water is all you need.
- Cleanse the air after cooking. Add a few drops to your diffuser, and diffuse in the kitchen to to rid the air of unwanted smells.
- Degrease dishes. Add lemon essential oil to your dish soap to cut the grease on your dirty dishes.
- Use a couple drops of lemon essential oil to your cooking for a natural, zesty flavor. Try it in desserts like lemon bars, cake, tarts or even dinner entrees like lemon garlic shrimp. Looking for a quick breakfast to perk you up? Add 1-4 drops to 1 cup of greek yogurt.
- 1 to 3 drops removes sticky residue left from stickers, labels, or any other adhesive. Good bye, Goo Gone!
- Freshen your laundry by adding a few drops to your dryer balls.
- Mix with water and a splash of white vinegar in a glass spray bottle for an all-purpose, natural cleaning spray.
- Soothe a sore throat by adding 2-3 drops in hot tea. Add a spoonful of honey for a little sweet.
- Make a room spray to freshen any room! Put 6 drops of lemon oil and 6 drops of purification oil in a small glass spray bottle mixed with distilled water to use in the bathroom, or any room, as an air freshener.
- Brighten your complexion by adding a drop to your daily facial moisturizer.
- Clean your fruit and veggies and help them keep longer. Add a drop to a bowl of water. Soak your fruits and veggies for 5-10 minutes (longer for thicker skin foods), and rinse well when done.
- Add a few drops to a cotton ball and put in the refrigerator to kill odors.
- Heal itchy bug bites with 2 drops directly on skin and lightly rub it in.
- Apply to your cuticles to soften them and strengthen your nails.
- Sanitize your toothbrush by putting a drop of oil on it then rinsing it off.
- Use a few drops as a hand sanitizer.
- Stinky shoes, cars, or gym bags be gone. Add a drop or two of lemon essential oil to a cotton ball and store in any enclosed space that’s stink prone.
- Detox in the morning. Add two drops of lemon essential oil to 8 ounces of water to cleanse your digestive system, liver and kidneys in the morning.
- Heal cold soles faster and ease the discomfort with a drop of lemon essential oil.
- Soak a rag with lemon oil and use it to polish silver or jewelry.
- Polish wood furniture with olive oil and lemon essential oil.
- Apple slices turning brown? Next time, spray the cut up apple with a mix of water and lemon essential oil to prevent the apple slices from browning and keep your slices fresh in the fridge for longer.
- Naturally flavored, low sugar lemonade recipe: 2 cups of water, 2 drops of lemon, and sweeten to taste with honey (or a sweetener of your choice).
- Want whiter teeth, naturally? Mix 1 part coconut oil to 1 part baking soda, 1 drop of lemon, then brush.
- Help remove stains from clothes. Rub a drop into a pesky stain, and then wash as directed.
- Clean your child’s highchair tray. Tomato sauce stains? Add 1 drop of lemon directly to the dirty area, let sit for a minute, and then wipe thoroughly. You’ll see the stain being lifted off the tray!
- Soften calluses, corns and warts. Rub a drop of lemon oil on a corn, callus or wart each day until it disappears.
- Add 2 – 3 drops of lemon essential oil to water in a glass spray bottle and spray counter top surface to sterilize.
- Heal blemishes faster. Put 3 drops of lemon oil on a cotton ball and apply to clean, dry affected areas.
- Repel insects. Mix a few drops of lemon oil with peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils to repel insects from your kitchen, bedroom, and other spaces.
If you’ve long been a lover of this oil, did I miss any of your favorite ways to use lemon essential oil?