You see people talking about them online. Your friends have them out in plain sight in their homes. You walk by a display at the grocery store. Essential oils seem to be everywhere lately, but you might not actually know what they are. You might be over there thinking what are these little bottles everyone is obsessed with, and do I need them in my life too? If you’ve found yourself wondering “…but exactly what are essential oils,” you’ve come to the right place.
Today I want to share a really simple introduction to essential oils. You ready?
Essential oils are highly concentrated volatile compounds extracted from whole or parts of plants. Say what? In other words, they’re the immune system of the plant, its natural defense. They’re derived from the stem, rind, root, leaves, flowers etc. of a plant in a careful extraction and distillation process to produce what we receive in the bottle: the essential oil.
Essential oils have been used for a really, really long time (they’re even referenced in the bible). Today, essential oils are still used to bring health and wellness to the body – mentally, emotionally and physically.
Just like the oil naturally defends and protects the plant, the oil does this for our bodies as well. They provide support for every system in the body: your skeletal system, muscular system, circulatory system, endocrine system (hormones), respiratory system and immune system. They support brain health and a healthy weight. They are used extensively for emotions and spiritual support in your prayer life. An oil in the diffuser can help you relax after a long day or waken you up when you need an extra boost to get work done. You can use essential oils to help support your family’s sleeping patterns, and you can use essential oils when sneezes and sniffles make their way into your home too. Oils can even be used as an alternative to toxic cleaning chemicals in your home.
How do you use essential oils?
Now that you know what essential oils actually are, let’s talk about how you literally use essential oils. Because you don’t want to buy oils and then let those little bottles collect dust on your counter top. You want to start using your oils right away!
So here goes. Essential oils can be used in 3 ways:
Aromatically Essential oils are best known for their smells, which can help create an environment to suit your specific needs. In addition to adding them to cleaning products and beauty staples, people most often infuse the air directly with their favorite oils by using a diffuser. You fill a diffuser with water, add a few drops of oil, and voila. Heavenly smells fill your home and the oils are actually supporting your body’s systems. No more toxic fumes from your beloved candles.
Topically The best way for your body to absorb the therapeutic qualities of essential oils is through a combination of inhalation (aromatically) and absorption through your skin. That might mean through a massage, bath, or simply rolling an essential oil bottle along your neck, behind your ears, on the inside of your wrists, bottoms of your feet etc. Many essential oils also have skin-enhancing benefits and can be applied directly to the skin or added to your existing beauty products.
Internally Add a drop to your water, cook with oils, or take supplements boosted with the goodness of essential oils. The Young Living Vitality™ line is specifically labeled for internal use, making it easy to know which oils can be safely ingested. But please, please, please don’t take just any old oil and ingest it. Not all oils are made equally, and not all oils are safe for ingestion. Please purchase oils from a brand you know and trust, and only use oils internally if they have been marked safe for ingestion.
What do you use them for?
We’ve answered your first question, which was “what are essential oils?” and we’ve shared how you use essential oils, in the literal “what do I do with this bottle” kind of way.
So now for the best part. WHY is the whole world talking about essential oils? Why are people you know and love saying that these little bottles have changed their lives? Why are people so passionate about essential oils? Well, because they work. And they can change your family’s life. Seriously.
Essential oils support positive, healthy feelings. They help support a healthy body. Products made with essential oils can be used for personal hygiene, cooking and even home cleaning, which offers a healthier solution to brands that contain harmful volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
Looking for examples of how we use essential oils in our home? Oh, let me count the ways.
- We’ve replaced almost all of our toxic chemical filled cleaning products with plant based, toxic free products. Young Living’s line of Thieves offers everything we need to clean every surface in our home! Literally.
- We also diffuse oils like Thieves around the clock to help support our immune systems and keep sickness at bay.
- We’re in the process of swapping out our personal care products (shampoo, conditioner, bath gel, toothpaste, hand soap, makeup etc.) with non-toxic, plant based options from Young Living. This is a slow and steady process, because my bank account won’t let me do it all at once 🙂
- We diffuse oils around Gemma to keep her calm, happy, and sleeping well.
- We diffuse oils at night in our bedroom to support deep, healthy sleep habits.
- I rub oils on my body when I have aches and pains.
- I rub other oils on my body when my stomach is acting up… or any other digestive issues pop up.
- I rub different oils all over my face day and night to support glowing, smooth, and clear skin.
- I put a few drops of oils into beauty products like my daily moisturizer, and mascara.
- I use a daily serum to help balance my hormones.
- I also roll another oil on my thyroids for further support.
- And diffuse another oil during that time of month.
- I diffuse certain oils when I want to feel super focused and productive.
- I diffuse different oils when I’m feeling troubled and bogged down by grief.
- I diffuse other oils when we’re having guests over and I want our home to smell amazing and cozy.
- I diffuse a couple particular oils after certain dinners cause our kitchen to stank.
- And I use other oils to help clear out the smell of dirty diapers in our diaper pail.
I could keep going… but I’ll stop. Need more examples? Just ask! We use essential oils every single day, in so many ways it’s hard to keep track. But the point is, they are natural, safe, and healthy products to bring into your home to help your whole family be your best selves.